Salt Lake is a finalist to host the 2024 GOP Convention
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City is among four potential host cities vying to host the 2024 GOP National Convention.
An unnamed source quoted by Politico said Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Nashville are the other four finalists.
Staff members of the RNC Site Selection Committee are expected to visit each of the cities soon to more fully determine the viability of the city.
At that point, CNN reports the choices will be narrowed down to three and the full RNC Site Selection Committee will visit the cities.
They are expected to determine whether the finalists have space for large convention events, enough hotels, and whether traveling to the city and within the city is easy.
Corporate sponsorships will also be a consideration, reported CNN.
However, Utah is a solidly Republican state. And a long-standing tradition holds that conventions are held in key swing states. So Utah’s solidly red voting record may hinder its chances.
The last major political conventions were held in 2020 in the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the Democratic National Convention moved from Milwaukee to a wholly virtual affair. In 2020, Republicans held some events in Charlotte, North Carolina. But the majority of speeches came from Washington D.C.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Elk, again, trying to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Tom Brady announces retirement: ‘I’m retiring for good’
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- Alpine schools investigating “suspicious” computer activity
- Nikki Haley expected to announce presidential run in Charleston on Feb. 15