Salt Lake is a finalist to host the 2024 GOP Convention
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City is among four potential host cities vying to host the 2024 GOP National Convention.
An unnamed source quoted by Politico said Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Nashville are the other four finalists.
Staff members of the RNC Site Selection Committee are expected to visit each of the cities soon to more fully determine the viability of the city.
At that point, CNN reports the choices will be narrowed down to three and the full RNC Site Selection Committee will visit the cities.
They are expected to determine whether the finalists have space for large convention events, enough hotels, and whether traveling to the city and within the city is easy.
Corporate sponsorships will also be a consideration, reported CNN.
However, Utah is a solidly Republican state. And a long-standing tradition holds that conventions are held in key swing states. So Utah’s solidly red voting record may hinder its chances.
The last major political conventions were held in 2020 in the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the Democratic National Convention moved from Milwaukee to a wholly virtual affair. In 2020, Republicans held some events in Charlotte, North Carolina. But the majority of speeches came from Washington D.C.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police now have persons of interest in Moab double murder case
- UDOH is changing prioritization process for COVID-19 symptom treatments
- UPDATE: Wrong way car crash on Bangerter Highway results in death of 19-year-old
- Wordle, the easy online word game that’s easy to love
- UPDATED: Utah House overturns Salt Lake, Summit county mask mandates
- FBI says Brian Laundrie took responsibility for Gabby Petito’s murder
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Moab Police get digital evidence possibly connected to double murder
- BREAKING: Gun in shooting outside Hunter High purchased in Utah in 2013
- Utah senate minority leader Karen Mayne announces she has cancer