Salt Lake is a finalist to host the 2024 GOP Convention
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City is among four potential host cities vying to host the 2024 GOP National Convention.
An unnamed source quoted by Politico said Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Nashville are the other four finalists.
Staff members of the RNC Site Selection Committee are expected to visit each of the cities soon to more fully determine the viability of the city.
At that point, CNN reports the choices will be narrowed down to three and the full RNC Site Selection Committee will visit the cities.
They are expected to determine whether the finalists have space for large convention events, enough hotels, and whether traveling to the city and within the city is easy.
Corporate sponsorships will also be a consideration, reported CNN.
However, Utah is a solidly Republican state. And a long-standing tradition holds that conventions are held in key swing states. So Utah’s solidly red voting record may hinder its chances.
The last major political conventions were held in 2020 in the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the Democratic National Convention moved from Milwaukee to a wholly virtual affair. In 2020, Republicans held some events in Charlotte, North Carolina. But the majority of speeches came from Washington D.C.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah judge cancels hearing on trans athlete ruling in favor of written opinion
- Suspect in Heber murder found dead, police say
- Colorado River falls into Tier 2 shortage, new cuts coming for Southwest
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- Church announces names of 2 future temples; another temple rededicated
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- Power outage impacting much of Magna and West Valley City
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley