St. George man taken into custody for alleged sexual assault
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Dixie State University police have taken an 18-year-old male into custody after he allegedly sexually assaulted a female victim.
According to the probable cause statement, the incident occurred on Jan. 10. In the evening hours of Jan. 10, the victim went to an apartment to visit Donovan Prichett, whom the victim knew. Later that evening, the victim fell asleep in Prichett’s bed.
In the probable cause statement, the victim says she was woken up sometime between midnight and 2 a.m. She was woken by Prichett sexually assaulting her.
Reporting the alleged assault
On Jan. 13, the victim went to Dixie State University police to report the incident. As she recounted the incident, the victim said she was scared and didn’t know what to do as Prichett continued to assault her, the probable cause statement stated.
The victim told police she stayed in the bed until 10 a.m. because she was scared of Prichett.
The victim also provided authorities with a text conversation she had with Prichett regarding the sexual assault. During that conversation, Prichett offered to help the victim with whatever she needed.
From there, authorities conducted a search warrant of the apartment. Items seized in the search warrant were bed sheets, two pillowcases, a blanket/comforter, and several used condoms and wrappers. Prichett’s cell phone was also included in the search warrant. However, he was not at the apartment at the time the search warrant was executed.
Authorities attempted to contact Prichett through a phone call and a text message. However, he refused to communicate and texted an insult to the Dixie State University Police Chief, who was trying to make contact with him.
In a second interview with police on Friday, the victim stated that she and Prichett had dated on and off for months but had had broken up the night before the incident.
The victim stated the reason for the on and off relationship was because the two belonged to different churches and had different values. The probable cause statement also says that she went to his apartment because he had some Christmas gifts, he wanted to give her. Later, the victim tells police that the assault lasted for about 15 minutes.
On Friday, authorities located Prichett at his place of employment. He was taken into custody and escorted to the police station where he was read his Miranda rights.
After being read his rights, Prichett remained silent. He was booked into the Washington County Jail under investigation for rape.
- Man arrested for alleged sexual assault of a minor on New Year’s Day
- USU police chief resigns after sexual assault comments to football players were made public
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40