Man in custody following high-speed chase through Utah County
LEHI, Utah — A 28-year-old man from Salt Lake City is custody following a high-speed chase through Utah County early Tuesday morning.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP), a trooper attempted to stop a pickup truck that was going 100 mph on northbound I-15 near milepost 274. The UHP says the vehicle was speeding up and slowing down and was unable to stay in a single lane.
The vehicle then exited the freeway at 2100 North in Lehi. American Fork police followed the vehicle and re-engaged the pursuit of the vehicle at the intersection of 2100 North and SR-92.
In an effort to elude police, the vehicle traveled the wrong way on city streets on its way back to the freeway, police say. As the vehicle got back onto the freeway, UHP troopers were able to spike two tires of the vehicle from a safe location. A short time later, Lehi police were able to spike a third tire on the truck.
The truck left the freeway at 14600 South. It continued to travel through Lehi until it came to a stop. The driver, who has been identified as Colton Jones, attempted to flee on foot. However, he was taken into custody by Lehi and American Fork police.
The police investigation determined that the vehicle was stolen.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Victim of third Springville shooting identified
- Springville teen, Lily Conroy, taken off of life support last week
- Murder charges are filed in two separate Utah County cases
- Update: Texas gunman warned online he was going to shoot up school
- Weber County boy rescued after getting stuck in mud
- Trump loses appeal, he and children must testify in New York civil probe
- Gov. Cox says housing problems in Utah are worsened by Airbnb, Vrbo
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Closure of EB I-84 extended after semi rollover, crash
- West Valley City police report missing, at-risk child