Dump truck crash near Payson claims the life of one person
PAYSON, Utah — A dump truck crash Tuesday morning on northbound I-15 near Payson, claimed the life of the driver, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The UHP says the accident occurred near milepost 248 at 10:56 a.m. Authorities say the dump truck was approaching the 800 South exit in Payson when the right front steer tire blew out, which caused the truck to swerve into the guardrail on the right side of the highway.
According to the UHP, the truck continued off the right side of the highway and entered into a large gore area near the 1-15 northbound ramp at exit 248 and the main flow of traffic.
The UHP says that as the truck went into the gore it rolled onto the driver’s side. As a result, the load of landscaping boulders it was hauling were ejected.
The crash also broke a fuel tank, which created a fire in the cab of the truck. The driver of the truck died at the scene.
The I-15 northbound right lane and on-ramp from 800 South were closed until about 3 p.m. Tuesday, while authorities investigated the dump truck crash.
Serious crash: I-15 Northbound at milepost 248 (800 South Payson). The right lane is closed at the scene and is estimated to remain closed for at least 2 hours. The 800 South on-ramp is closed but should open within the hour. pic.twitter.com/3lUCCmQ8Pz
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) February 15, 2022
Today’s Top Stories
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Utah health officials confirm three cases of rabies in bats
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Garfield County cold case homicide is brought to a close
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio