ARTS + ENTERTAINMENT
Utah author tops $1 million in donations in 35 minutes on Kickstarter
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah-based author Brandon Sanderson was hoping to use Kickstarter to raise a $1 million to fund four new secret novels. In a matter of just 35 minutes, he had reached his goal, and the coming money continues to roll in.
With 26 days left in the fundraising efforts, Sanderson has been funded by more than 93,000 backers, and has raised more than $22 million.
Sanderson is best known for creating sci-fi novels.
According to the website, Sanderson wrote a four-novel series over the course of two years. He wrote during moments of free time in a busy life. However, he has yet to release the titles of the four books.
“Well, we thought it would be fun to keep those hidden for now,” Sanderson posted on the website. “Some of you might want to receive these books with minimal spoilers and just enjoy them fresh and new, without even knowing the title ahead of time.”
Kickstarter helps connect creators with individuals who are willing to back the project. The website also says rewards aren’t guaranteed, and creators are only charged if they meet fundraising goal by the deadline.
“I’m extremely proud of them, as each represents some new aspect of storytelling that has forced me to grow in an interesting way,” the Utah author posted the website. “Each also takes you to someplace new, original, and vibrant. Three of these are Cosmere books taking place on new worlds, and the other one is something completely different.”
All four books are being made available through three formats – a digital ebook; a digital audiobook and an unsigned premium hardcover book.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woods Cross man arrested for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- Bus driver to be honored for saving woman from dog attack
- Fire breaks out at Orem home
- False threat near the TRAX Daybreak Parkway Station
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Teens charged as adults in West Valley shooting death
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation