New Provo airport set to open in May
PROVO, Utah — After nearly three years of construction, the Provo airport will open in May. Events are planned for May 5, 6, and 7 at the new terminal building.
The city tweeted out pictures of the new jetway and baggage claim area on Tuesday, and it’s hoping the new facilities will eventually attract new commercial services to the city.
Right now, only one carrier, Allegiant Air, flies out of Provo. But Nicole Martin, city spokesperson, said with its four new gates, the facilities could accommodate more.
“The sense is, it’s truly ‘If you build it, they will come,'” Martin told KSL NewsRadio. “So as we share the grand announcement, our hope is that other carriers will look and see that this is an ideal location for them.”
Along with typical airport facilities, Martin said some things about the new terminal that will be unique to Provo. One is a family lounge that will provide space for children to spend their excess energy. Windows in the lounge provide a 360-degree view of the Utah Valley.
“We have glass all around so that if you are waiting, you can look out to the east or the west and really get a feel for Provo,” she said.
The total cost of the project is $55 million. The airport includes a new loop road allowing for easier passenger pickup and drop-off. Martin says the funding came from federal, state, county, and local governments.
Today’s Top Stories
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- Snow storm brings highly dangerous avalanche conditions
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Pence says Trump was ‘wrong’ for dinner with Holocaust denier
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success