Delta pilots picket at Salt Lake International Airport
SALT LAKE CITY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, UT — Dozens of pilots picketed at Salt Lake International Airport Thursday, demanding that Delta Airlines fix their schedules.
Captain Evan Baach said Salt Lake is one of several Delta hubs pilots picketed.
“Our message is to Delta management that the airline is scheduling more flying with fewer pilots that are available to do the flying,” said Captain Baach.
— Lindsay Aerts (@LindsayOnAir) April 7, 2022
Captain Baach represented the pilots who stood at the airport’s arrival section, stoic and holding signs as passengers drove up. Pilots held signs that said things like if “I look tired, I am.”
Baach said around 70 pilots were there, and they are all part of the Air Line Pilots Association.
“We’re working longer days that than we normal have and we have shorter time on layovers than we have historically have, and we’re picking up a record amount of overtime,” Baach said
Captain Baach said Delta acknowledged their concerns but the pilots want action.
Delta airlines provided the following statement to KSL NewsRadio.
This informational exercise by some of our off-duty pilots will not disrupt our operation for our customers. We continuously evaluate our staffing models and plan ahead so that we can recover quickly when unforeseen circumstances arise, and the resilience of the Delta people is unmatched in that regard. Pilot schedules remain in line with all requirements set by the FAA as well as those outlined in our pilot contract. All of our people, including our pilots, are working hard to restore our airline and deliver for our customers as we emerge from the pandemic. We are grateful for and proud of their efforts.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Utah Rep. Mia Love pushes for compromise bill on immigration
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Salt Lake City Police cancel Amber alert for 11-year-old girl
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song