Man arrested for allegedly stealing a vehicle and assaulting an officer
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department arrested a 28-year-old man who allegedly stole a vehicle in addition to assaulting a police officer on Wednesday.
Police say that a suspicious vehicle, determined later to be stolen, was discovered in a parking lot of a hotel at 1900 West North Temple on Wednesday morning at 8:05 a.m.
Assaulting an officer
According to police, officers approached the vehicle and attempted to take the suspect into custody. However, the suspect, identified as Hung Nguyen, refused to cooperate. Police say as Nguyen was being arrested, he assaulted one of the officers, causing a minor injury to the officer. The officer was treated and released at a local hospital.
According to a probable cause statement, Nguyen was in possession of brass knuckles when officers first approached him.
Police say that a TASER was successfully used, and Nguyen was taken into custody.
Nguyen was booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail for investigation of possession of a stolen vehicle, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, failure to stop at the command of a police officer, possession of drug paraphernalia, and interference with arresting officer.
Today, our officers arrested a 28-year-old man accused of possessing a stolen vehicle and assaulting an officer. For more info, read our press release:https://t.co/cMLxkk6oCq#saltlakecity #slc #utah #ut #slcpd pic.twitter.com/3yK8L02ok1
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) April 20, 2022
- Salt Lake City Police stop a 14-year-old driving the wrong way
- Salt Lake City Police release videos of airport officer assaults
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered