Close carbon monoxide call has fire department saying, “check your detectors”
WEST HAVEN, Utah — Four people in West Haven came home last weekend, got out of their car, and apparently left it running in the garage. Weber Fire Deputy District Chief David Reed said the car ran all night until it ran out of gas.
“They did not wake up or respond to the CO alarm that went off. It was functioning. I had the crews check it,” Chief Reed told KSL NewsRadio.
One of the four people was able to regain consciousness enough to call for help. All four became ill and needed to go to the hospital. They were treated in a hyperbaric chamber.
Crews evacuated the entire unit. The carbon monoxide had even made it into neighboring townhomes.
Reed explained, “There were traces of it in the end unit. The one next door to the garage – it was strong enough that that homeowner’s CO detector went off.”
Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
Reed emphasized the importance of checking detectors. “Make sure your home has a CO detector. A lot of people use those combo smoke and CO detectors in the hallways. Every level needs one. If a smoke or CO detector chirps, that’s indicative most likely of a battery change. If that device goes off, goes in full-on alarm mode, then there is an emergency, and you need to evacuate that living structure and call 911.”
Reed added that Utah requires carbon monoxide detectors in residential units.
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- U of U community reacts to discovery of hidden cameras in campus bathrooms
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat