Prosecutors to seek death penalty in case against Lori Vallow Daybell
ST. ANTHONY, Idaho – Lori Vallow Daybell and her defense were notified Monday that prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty in her case, if she is found guilty on any of the charges against her.
Vallow Daybell and her husband Chad Daybell are facing murder charges and conspiracy to commit murder in connection to the deaths of her children – J.J. Vallow and Tylee Ryan. The two are also facing similar charges in relation to the death of Daybell’s first wife, Tammy Daybell.
Chad Daybell was notified last August of the state’s intention to seek the death penalty against him, if he is found guilty.
In a separate motion, also on Monday, the prosecution is asking that Vallow Daybell’s trial be moved from October to January, so it can be tied together with Daybell’s case.
“If both cases are not set for trial at the same time, it will result in an improper severance,” the prosecution said in paperwork filed with the court.
On May 24, 2021, a grand jury returned an indictment against both Vallow Daybell and Daybell, which contained nine charges in connection to the deaths of her two children and his first wife.
On June 9, 2021, Vallow Daybell was found incompetent to stand trial. She was found fit to stand trial last month.
Vallow Daybell was arraigned on April 19, and a not guilty plea was entered on her behalf.
- Judge enters not guilty plea for Lori Vallow Daybell
- Trial venue for Lori Vallow Daybell moved to Ada County
- Lori Vallow Daybell deemed competent to stand trial
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- 2 dead after crash into parked box truck