Man wanted for manslaughter arrested after not appearing in court
SALT LAKE CITY — On January 5, 2020, officers were called out to a traffic incident in the area of 900 W and North Temple in Salt Lake City. The accident involved two vehicles, a black Tesla Model S and a Black Nissan Sentra. The driver of the black Telsa was Lincoln Bywater, who ran a red light at an intersection and collided with the Nissan Sentra.
According to the Salt Lake City Police Department, due to the collision of the vehicles, the driver of the Nissan Sentra, S. Astorga, was transported in critical condition to a hospital. She later died on January 9, 2020, due to her injuries. Also, Bywater and his passenger, J. Lucero were found in critical condition and transported to hospitals.
Passenger J. Lucero was released from the hospital on January 10, 2020. However, he died at his home on January 18, 2020, due to his injuries from the accident.
Salt Lake City Police Department said blood samples taken by the hospital from Bywater revealed his BAC at the time to be 0.20.
Bywater failed to appear in court and a warrant for his arrest remained outstanding until recently. Officer Brent Peters arrested Bywater on May 6 due to suspicion of marijuana use.
“I made contact with the suspects and immediately detected what appears to be a very strong odor of marijuana coming from their immediate area. My conclusion of the marijuana smell is based on 28 years in law enforcement and my previous training and interactions with this suspected drug,” said Officer Peters.
During further investigation, Officer Peters identified a small clear bindle wrap. It appeared to contain two different possible Rx medications. One set of pills was Clonazepam and the other Dextroamphetamine.
Bywaters is currently in custody.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Elon Musk speaks out on ‘Twitter Files’ release detailing platform’s inner…
- Bob McGrath, original ‘Sesame Street’ cast member, dead at 90
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…