BUSINESS + ECONOMY
As nation sets national gas price record, Utahns ponder summer plans
SALT LAKE CITY — As the nation sets a new gas price record, some Utahns are adjusting their plans for the summer driving season.
Gas price record
According to the AAA, Utahns are paying an average of $4.49 per gallon of regular gasoline. That’s above the national average of $4.37, but lower than a historic average set a week ago. The rise in prices in recent months is prompting people like Craig and Charlee Christensen, to make new plans for the summer.
Charlee Christensen said the newlywed couple can’t afford rent or mortgage with the current housing market, and gas is making it worse.
“That combined with the housing market, we are kind of forced to move into an RV,” Christensen said.
But they still want to travel, so with the money they’re saving on rent or mortgage payments, they’re taking their living accommodations with them.
“We don’t have kids yet, and we want to still travel,” she said. “And so, we sacrificed buying a home because we had to pay so much trying to live.”
Gas price differs
And live they will. The couple plans to travel to California this summer, where according to the AAA report, an average gallon of gas, costs $5.84. Christensen says they also may try to travel east, to her home state of Georgia. That could at least be cheaper, as the AAA reported gas prices in many midwest and southern states are below $4.00.
But the Christensens, who dive a late-model Chevrolet Suburban and a Ford pick-up truck, say their plans could change if prices continue to climb.
“That’s all you can do,” said Craig Christensen. “You can’t plan for much because you don’t know if it will be different tomorrow, you don’t know if it will be different in a week.”
- Gas prices at this station may be the lowest in Utah
- Will Biden’s plan to tap national reserve lower gas prices?
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- Another Utah snowstorm has us asking, what is a snow squall?
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski collision trial in Utah enters third day
- Spring running late, another snowy morning commute is predicted
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Median price of a home declines for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah