Wholesale inflation impacting businesses all across Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Wholesale inflation is up by double digits in Utah and across the nation for the fifth straight month in April. The newest numbers out today from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show an 11% increase last month. In March 2022, the increase was 11.5 %.
The rising wholesale inflation in Utah is hitting many businesses, including the Left Fork Grill in South Salt Lake. General Manager Melissa Masten said the monthly increases are making it difficult to keep their menu prices up-to-date.
“We have to raise our prices every two to three months,” Masten told KSL NewsRadio’s Dave and Dujanovic.
She said it’s also impacting their servers because people are tipping less.
“Our prices are going up and our tips are going down,” Masten said. “Because people are like, I’m paying so much more for what they’re getting, but then they don’t want to tip us that certain percentage.”
Masten also said wholesale suppliers are limiting how many cases of food restaurants can buy. For example, now they are limited to just a couple cases of eggs each time they order. They could get as many as needed before the pandemic.
But Masten said she isn’t worried about the future. She says despite rising prices on the menu, customers are still supporting the restaurant.
“We have just a big following,” Masten said. “They just are so happy to be here.”
- Utahns are reportedly paying more in inflation than other states
- Many Utah consumers feel hopeful about their finances, despite
- Dujanovic: Battling inflation like it’s 1981
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]