Wholesale inflation impacting businesses all across Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Wholesale inflation is up by double digits in Utah and across the nation for the fifth straight month in April. The newest numbers out today from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show an 11% increase last month. In March 2022, the increase was 11.5 %.
The rising wholesale inflation in Utah is hitting many businesses, including the Left Fork Grill in South Salt Lake. General Manager Melissa Masten said the monthly increases are making it difficult to keep their menu prices up-to-date.
“We have to raise our prices every two to three months,” Masten told KSL NewsRadio’s Dave and Dujanovic.
She said it’s also impacting their servers because people are tipping less.
“Our prices are going up and our tips are going down,” Masten said. “Because people are like, I’m paying so much more for what they’re getting, but then they don’t want to tip us that certain percentage.”
Masten also said wholesale suppliers are limiting how many cases of food restaurants can buy. For example, now they are limited to just a couple cases of eggs each time they order. They could get as many as needed before the pandemic.
But Masten said she isn’t worried about the future. She says despite rising prices on the menu, customers are still supporting the restaurant.
“We have just a big following,” Masten said. “They just are so happy to be here.”
- Utahns are reportedly paying more in inflation than other states
- Many Utah consumers feel hopeful about their finances, despite
- Dujanovic: Battling inflation like it’s 1981
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- DWR officials taking steps to protect California condors
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport