Black bear captured in Morgan County
MORGAN COUNTY, Utah — A black bear was sighted wandering near Morgan Middle School Monday morning. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources confirmed that it caught and tranquilized the bear.
The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office received multiple from residents and commuters alerting them to the situation.
Sergeant Lucas Call with the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office was on the scene.
“We were able to locate it [the bear] in a field,” said Call. The scared bear reportedly climbed a nearby tree. “Some local residents were called to assist with game hounds. And they assisted in maintaining the bear, keeping him in safe in the area.”
Gwen Romero with Morgan School District snapped the photo of the black bear below. Romero noted that the bear moved away from the school, keeping students distanced from the scene.
The DWR responded to the call and sedated and mobilized the bear.
“The bear was loaded and then they [DWR] were going to relocate the bear a safe distance away from the city,” said Call.
Black bears are common in Utah and can stray to urban areas when seeking food and water sources.
This story will be updated. Weston Sleight contributed to this story.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing