Human-caused fires in southern Utah burned over the weekend
Jun 13, 2022, 9:41 AM
WASHINGTON COUNTY, Utah — The Dalton Wash fire continued to burn over the weekend, along with two new fires that began Sunday. Utah fire officials said the fires were all human-caused but investigations are still ongoing.
Dalton Wash Fire
Utah Fire Info’s website listed the Dalton Wash Fire at 75% containment as of Monday morning. Officials estimated that the size of the fire had grown to 350 acres.
Officials said they would decrease resources for the Dalton Wash fire by Monday morning because “containment lines have been improved and fire managers feel confident in the current condition of the fire’s perimeter,” according to Utah Fire Info.
The Dalton Wash Fire was burning east of Virgin, in Washington County, Utah, on State Route 9. Officials said that a vehicle rollover caused the fire.
Officials issued a Red Flag Warning Sunday afternoon after reporting the start of the Canyon Fire the same afternoon.
Utah Fire Info said, “erratic winds & high temps remain a threat,” and added that crews would stay on the scene to contain the fire.
The Canyon Fire is burning east of Fillmore in Millard County and affects an estimated 15 acres. Utah Fire Info’s website lists the fire as being “human-caused,” but adds that it is still under investigation.
Cove Canyon Fire
A fire south of Orderville in Kane County also began Sunday afternoon. The fire impacted traffic as it was on the west side of Highway 89.
Utah Fire Info said the fire was human-caused and that the person involved was cooperating with officials.
Crews created a line around the fire and were expected to stay at the scene Sunday night to keep the fire contained. Officials said the Cove Canyon Fire burned about 5 acres.
- Fire sparked in Saratoga Springs near Pony Express and Jordan River
- Cowabunga Bay temporarily closed due to fire
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- El Nino has returned. What does that mean for Utah?
- New distribution center dedicated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- SLC Council issues statement on UTA Pride bus being pulled from parade
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Service animal removed from grocery store. Does the ADA allow that?
- Utah man sues Alaska State Troopers, claims conditional job offer revoked over HIV status
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Suspect in Ogden officer-involved-shooting identified
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home