Man facing reckless driving charges after incident in Stockton, police say
STOCKTON, Utah — A 19-year-old man is facing reckless driving charges after police say he drove at a high-rate of speed through Stockton on Wednesday afternoon.
Police say a black Audi passenger vehicle was traveling southbound on SR-36 just after 2 pm. An officer, who was positioned at Connor and Silver in Stockton, clocked the vehicle going 81 miles per hour in an area where the posted speed limit is 40.
As the officer began a traffic stop of the vehicle, it accelerated as it continued to pass through town. The officer clocked the vehicle at 90 miles per hour.
Police say the Audi began weaving in and out of traffic as it continued to travel at a high rate of speed.
Police also say the vehicle eventually stopped three miles out of town. The driver, a resident of Bluffdale, acknowledged to Stockton Police that he was speeding. Additionally, he told police that he was in between sales appointments, and was trying to get home to rest before his next appointment.
As police were discussing the matter with the driver, other drivers stopped to provide additional information. They informed officers how the driver passed them in no passing zones. And drove past them at a high rate of speed.
According to police, the reckless driving charge the driver is facing is a Class B misdemeanor.
- SLCPD issues 96 citations in recent speed enforcement operation
- Six juveniles in custody following alleged carjacking, highspeed chase
Today’s Top Stories
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Murray Police warning public to be on lookout for scam
- Saturday morning conference session makes history
- The sad history of Tragedy Spring
- ‘Any kind of abuse … is an abomination,’ President Nelson says at Saturday morning session
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Indonesia stadium riot: At least 127 people reported dead following soccer match, police say
- Other paths to consider when thinking about attending college
- Teen arrested, suspected of aggravated murder in Salt Lake City