Jeff Gray to bring back death penalty after becoming presumptive next Utah County Attorney
Add to that, Gray does not have a Democratic opponent in the general election, so it’s highly likely he’ll become the Utah County Attorney come January 2023.
And in his first move, Gray told KSL NewsRadio’s Dave & Dujanovic, that he plans to bring back the death penalty.
“I will absolutely bring back the death penalty,” Gray said. “The residents of Utah, the citizens of Utah, have made known their desires, and they see fit to have the death penalty. And I believe that it’s a violation of Mr. Leavitt’s oath to uphold the law when he says he will never pursue the death penalty.”
Gray’s move would be in stark contrast to Leavitt’s 2021 announcement that he would no longer seek the death penalty.
Gray said he doesn’t fault Leavitt for going to the legislature and seeking its repeal.
“That’s his right as a citizen, but as a prosecutor, his obligation is to uphold the law. And when he says that he will never pursue it, that a violation of that duty,”
Leavitt also spoke to Dave & Dujanovic about his loss. The people, he said, clearly chose which criminal justice policies they support.
“My effort all along has been to return more power to people, through juries, and less power to prosecutors and police,” Leavitt said.
Leavitt’s recent controversies
Gray said he doesn’t think Leavitt’s recent negative publicity helped him win. He attributes his success to voters rejecting Leavitt’s policies.
Leavitt however, does think the recent headlines and accusations have hurt him.
“We’re dealing with a citizenry that will embrace them [lies] and believe them.”
But, Leavitt said, while he won’t change his policies, he will spend the next six months setting Gray up as best as possible for his administration.
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Gov. Cox announces Utah Supreme Court nominee
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism