CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man arrested after setting lawn on fire, aiming firearm at officers
Jul 10, 2022, 9:49 AM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:29 am
(Derek Petersen | KSL TV)
SALT LAKE CITY – Firefighters responded to a report that a man set his lawn on fire at around 8 p.m. near 1400 South Utahna Drive. Upon arrival, the man began threatening to shoot the firefighters. It was then that they requested help from the police department.
Smoke could be seen billowing from the yard when officers arrived. The man was located in his residence and officers began to attempt to communicate with the suspect.
The suspect came from inside the house with a firearm and aimed it towards the officers. Shots were then fired by officers. It is unknown at this time if the suspect fired any shots back at officers.
After negotiations with officers, the man surrendered and was taken into custody without further incident. The suspect was then transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The two officers involved are uninjured and have been placed on paid administrative leave.
“Tonight, while responding to protect our brothers and sisters with the Salt Lake City Fire Department and neighbors, two of our officers found themselves in a situation that required them to use deadly force,” said SLCPD Chief Mike Brown. “I’m proud of our officers’ courage. This was a dynamic situation that put them, and potentially others, in imminent danger. I would also like to acknowledge the bravery of SLCFD who stayed on scene ready to protect neighborhood homes from catching fire and then immediately provided medical care to the suspect.”
Anyone who has photos, videos, or may have witnessed this incident should call SLC911 at 801-799-3000 and reference case 22-129713.
- UPDATE: SLCPD arrest two in connection to Sunday’s Ballpark neighborhood shooting
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Police responded to two separate shootings in Salt Lake Valley within 10 minutes on Monday
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Suspect killed, Ogden police officer stable after officer-involved shooting
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths
- Multiple leads being followed up on after motorcyclist shot at passenger car, victim is stable