CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
UPDATE: SLCPD arrest two in connection to Sunday’s Ballpark neighborhood shooting
Jul 3, 2022, 1:35 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:31 am
(Photo courtesy of SLCPD)
UPDATE: The Salt Lake City Police Department has arrested 47-year-old Ryan Lua and 25-year-old Christopher Taliu in connection to Sunday’s shooting.
According to a SLCPD press release these arrests come after police spent the night following multiple leads and obtaining court-authorized search warrants.
“We now have a much clearer picture of what quickly unfolded early Sunday morning in the Ballpark neighborhood because of the unrelenting work of our patrol officers, detectives and crime lab technicians,” said Chief Mike Brown in a statement. “Every person who works for the Salt Lake City Police Department is committed to making our city safer, and I’m proud of their work. Our patrol officers, detectives, records staff, SWAT officers, and crime lab technicians gave up time with their families during this holiday weekend to pursue justice in this case. The Salt Lake City Police Department remains committed to confronting and interrupting the violence that occurs in our community and to send a clear message that violence will not be tolerated.”
Both Lua and Taliu are charged with aggravated assault and felony discharge of a firearm.
Original Coverage: SLCPD tweeted the license plate of a potential suspect.
Our detectives are looking for this 2009 white Audi A6, with Utah license plate 5U4UT as part of this investigation. Anyone who knows its location, should call 9-1-1 right away and reference the shooting that happened this morning on South Major Street. #slc #slcpd #saltlakecity pic.twitter.com/vTjeHY9UVL
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) July 3, 2022
SALT LAKE CITY – Police received multiple calls regarding shots fired near 1485 South Major Street at around 5:30 a.m. on Sunday July 3, 2022.
Upon arrival, officers found a man lying beside a car with a gun shot wound. Immediate life-saving measures were taken by the responding officers. The victim was later transported to the hospital by paramedics. He has since had a successful surgery and is in stable condition.
According to police, there were multiple crime scenes. A large border was set to make sure all evidence was preserved and collected. No suspects have been identified and no arrests have been made at this time.
Based on witness statements, the shooting happened at or near a large party. Immediately after the shooting, several people, including a shooter, left the scene.
The investigation into Sunday morning’s shooting is ongoing. Anyone with information, should call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 22-124993.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
- One person killed, others injured after a shooting in Salt Lake City
- Two injured in Salt Lake party shooting
- One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- New Great Salt Lake commissioner says he hopes Utah avoids ‘Great Salt Lake fatigue’
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan sank a US warship in China
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- U.S. Department of Labor is suing the Chinatown Supermarket in Salt Lake
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- Volunteers hope mural project will be first of many in Fairpark neighborhood
- Tackling the loneliness epidemic
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows