Utah Division of Wildlife Resources proposes hunting and fishing license fee increase to keep up with inflation
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources announced Tuesday that it was considering an increase in hunting and fishing license and permit fees because of inflation. The DWR asked for public feedback on the proposed increase.
Assistant Public Information Officer for the DWR Darby Doyle said that 92% of the agency’s budget is actually funded by hunting and fishing permits.
“We rely on Utah’s hunters and anglers to support all of the conservation efforts that we do all year round. Every little bit helps and goes a long way,” Doyle said.
And now, the DWR said, it is looking at a 10% fee increase in order to keep up with inflation.
“What we’re looking at is about a $5 million, basically, a dip that’s happening because of the increase in inflation versus what would naturally happen from the sales of hunting and fishing licenses and permits,” Doyle said.
The DWR said there hasn’t been a general increase in a decade.
The increase would cause a $6 bump for year-long fishing licenses and general-season deer and elk permits.
“We have a lot of folks in Utah who have been hunting and fishing their entire lives here… They want to be able to take their grandkids out and experience the outdoors the way they did.” Doyle said, adding “In order for that to happen… with the challenges that we have, we do need to consider upping our fees a little bit here to make up those shortfalls,” Doyle said.
If the proposal is accepted, the increase will effective on July 1, 2023.
The DWR is now taking public comments on the increase at their Regional Advisory Council meetings and online throughout July and August. A video by the DWR explaining the proposed increase can be found here.
Today’s Top Stories
- 200-year-old tree explodes in Portland due to heat wave
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Layton Police say search continues for teenager missing from treatment center
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- FBI executes search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago, former President says
- Utah reaction to the FBI search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate
- Allegiant Air plans to hire 60 flight attendants for its new Provo base
- Ogden man in jail after allegedly shaking 8-week-old baby
- Breaking: Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- Study places Utah among top ten states to have a baby