SALT LAKE CITY
UPDATE: Wildland fire near 7200 west and I-80 burns approximately 10 acres
Jul 17, 2022, 6:34 PM | Updated: Aug 2, 2022, 10:32 am
Update July 17, 2022 6:43 p.m.
Captain Tony Stowe with the Salt Lake City Fire Department says the blaze has burned approximately 10 acres.
Additionally, he says it began at around 5 p.m.. Initially, firefighters had a good handle on the fire but strong winds began to push it east, he says. After this, the fire jumped to the east side of 7200 west. No structures have been threatened.
An estimated 60 to 70 firefighters are on the scene.
The cause is currently under investigation.
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Fire Department reported a wildland fire in the area of 7200 west and I-80 Sunday evening.
Wildland fire in the area of 7200 west and I-80. Media agencies and public please avoid the area.
The logistics of high winds and firefighting activities have created unique hazards. PIO not responding to scene, please avoid scene to assist FF’s.
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) July 18, 2022
According to the fire department, high winds and firefighting activities have created “unique hazards.”
Salt Lake City Fire Department asks that the public avoid the area at this time.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- UPDATE: One home evacuated due to Wanship Fire, estimated to be 40 acres
- Where things stand on wildfires burning in Utah
- Jacob City Fire results in closure of public lands
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful