UPDATE: Wildland fire near 7200 west and I-80 burns approximately 10 acres
Update July 17, 2022 6:43 p.m.
Captain Tony Stowe with the Salt Lake City Fire Department says the blaze has burned approximately 10 acres.
Additionally, he says it began at around 5 p.m.. Initially, firefighters had a good handle on the fire but strong winds began to push it east, he says. After this, the fire jumped to the east side of 7200 west. No structures have been threatened.
An estimated 60 to 70 firefighters are on the scene.
The cause is currently under investigation.
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Fire Department reported a wildland fire in the area of 7200 west and I-80 Sunday evening.
Wildland fire in the area of 7200 west and I-80. Media agencies and public please avoid the area.
The logistics of high winds and firefighting activities have created unique hazards. PIO not responding to scene, please avoid scene to assist FF’s.
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) July 18, 2022
According to the fire department, high winds and firefighting activities have created “unique hazards.”
Salt Lake City Fire Department asks that the public avoid the area at this time.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- UPDATE: One home evacuated due to Wanship Fire, estimated to be 40 acres
- Where things stand on wildfires burning in Utah
- Jacob City Fire results in closure of public lands
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people dead in Taylorsville after shooting
- Unified Police looking for missing teen from Holladay
- What the bishops knew: Church releases details, timeline about Arizona sex abuse case
- New fire ignites in Spring Canyon in Carbon County
- Quantum computing of “great concern” to Rep. Chris Stewart, here’s why
- Lawmakers embrace hackers in Vegas as 2020 election looms
- Monkeypox may be added to wastewater monitoring in near future
- Cottonwood Heights Police officers spend own money to help homeless woman
- Friends and climbers mourn a Utah man who died on Mt. Everest
- Rand Paul awarded more than $580K after neighbor’s attack