Crash on I-80 leaves one dead, closes westbound lanes
SALT LAKE CITY – A BMW sedan was travelling east on I-80 when the driver lost control of the vehicle for unknown reasons. The sedan crossed over the median and started to roll. The incident took place on July 23 at around 8:30 p.m.
As the vehicle passed over the median, it caught fire. Three of the BMW’s occupants were ejected shortly after the vehicle crossed the median.
A Ford Explorer, driving westbound, say all of this unfold and came to a full stop as the BMW rolled directly into the front of the Explorer. The flames from the BMW quickly engulfed both vehicles.
The occupants of the Explorer were able to exit the vehicle quickly and safely. The one occupant who wasn’t ejected from the BMW sustained fatal injuries.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
- Two people killed in two separate car crashes in Salt Lake City
- 21-year-old driver swerves, flips vehicle in crash on SR-16
- One man dead after a three car crash on SR 9
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Used car prices dropping but supply still low
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- The road home is in need of donations and volunteers this winter
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility