A Greenland shark found in Belize, thousands of miles from home
Aug 1, 2022, 10:15 AM | Updated: Aug 2, 2022, 10:06 am
(CNN) — The Greenland shark makes its home in the icy arctic waters around Greenland and Iceland, so researchers were shocked when they found one of the ocean giants apparently taking a tropical vacation in the coral reefs off the coast of Belize.
This is the first time a Greenland shark has been spotted in the western Caribbean, off the world’s second longest barrier reef, according to a press release from Florida International University (FIU).
These feces-finding Fidos help save orcas and other endangered wildlife
Devanshi Kasana, a Ph.D. student at FIU, was working with Belizean fishermen to tag tiger sharks when she noticed that one shark attached to one of their lines didn’t look like a tiger shark.
She sent a photo of the large, sluggish creature to her adviser, who confirmed it was either a Greenland shark or a hybrid between the Greenland shark and Pacific sleeper shark, according to FIU.
One of the fishermen on the project expressed shock at the discovery.
“I am always excited to set my deep water line because I know there is stuff down there that we haven’t seen yet in Belize, but I never thought I would be catching a Greenland shark,” Omar Faux, one of the Belize fisherman, said in the FIU release.
Wolverine captured in Utah and released back into wild
Greenland sharks are the world’s longest-living vertebrate on Earth, capable of living up at least 400 years, according to a 2016 study. But there is still lots left to learn about the mysterious fish. The slow-moving, slow-growing species can reach up to 23 feet long and weigh up to 1.5 tons, according to National Geographic. Because the sharks prefer incredibly cold, deep waters, they are difficult for scientists to monitor.
FIU suggested that there could be more Greenland sharks in tropical waters all over the world — just very far below the surface, where the water is as cold as they prefer.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Utah County Sheriff arrests driver accused in road rage deaths
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Former Gov. Herbert on field of 2024 GOP presidential candidates
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Four Republicans on board to run for Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Lawmaker says Bible ban didn’t follow the law he helped create