One dead in early Saturday crash on I-80
TOOELE COUNTY, Utah – One person is dead following a fatal crash Saturday morning. Utah High Patrol says they got a call about 3:36 a.m. Saturday, August 13, 2022 of a crash that involved a Genesis passenger car and a pick-up truck.
UHP Corporal Tara Wahlberg told KSL Newsradio that a Dodge pickup truck was heading eastbound on I-80 one mile east of Lakeside in Tooele County. As of early Saturday afternoon, it was still not known why the pickup veered sharply to the left, then went off the roadway, crossing the median.
The truck wound up in the left lane of westbound traffic and was struck by the car. The driver of the pickup was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the vehicle. and was pronounced dead on the scene.
One occupant from the Genesis was transported to an area hospital by air ambulance, in critical condition.
“Air-med did come out and took the patient to a local hospital,” according to Wahlberg.
An ambulance transported a second occupant with non life threatening injuries.
Westbound lanes were closed for several hours and have since reopened.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- US Embassy warns Americans to leave Russia