Where to watch this weekend’s harvest moon
The harvest moon happens once a year, and this year it comes a bit early. For those wanting to see the harvest moon, Utah offers a variety of options.
A harvest moon is the moon closest to the autumnal equinox, and according to the Farmer’s Almanac, this is usually an October occurrence. The harvest moon is the only moon name that doesn’t align with a month, but rather a solar event.
Although the moon may look at its full capacity from tonight until Sunday, tomorrow after midnight it will be at its fullest harvest size with its deepest color just after sunset.
Seeing the harvest moon in Utah
Luckily for stargazers, lunar event followers and even evening hikers, the harvest moon is different in the way that it appears full in the sky earlier than other full moons and it appears to be full for a longer amount of days. This gives ample chances for viewers to get their glances.
Utah is no stranger to beautiful views and now, lush landscapes will have a natural light cast over them. Places like Bryce Canyon offer full-moon hikes. Arrive just before 4 p.m. with some hiking boots and no children under the age of seven.
The Great Salt Lake offers a full moon walk just after sunset along Silver Sands Beach as the moon casts its color over the water.
The Gateway in Salt Lake City will host a viewing party tonight from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
If you want to skip the crowds, the moon will be visible all across the western Utah sky. Your backyard, your streets and favorite local parks can make for a good spot to see this year’s harvest moon in Utah.
- Be over the moon because total lunar eclipse coming Sunday to Utah
- Are the Artemis moon missions worth the cost?
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- UTA board looks at FrontRunner expansion in Utah County