CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man taken into custody after a pair of stabbings last weekend in Ogden
Sep 9, 2022, 7:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:27 am
(Kristin Murphy/Deseret News)
OGDEN, Utah — A 27-year-old man was arrested by Ogden police on Wednesday in connection to a pair of stabbings last weekend in Ogden.
According to a probable cause statement, police were notified of the two stabbings in the area of 200 25th Street in the early hours of Sept. 3. The two male victims were transported to an area hospital with critical injuries to their abdomens.
The probable cause statement says the suspect was able to flee the scene without being arrested.
Through an interview with a witness, police were able to identify the suspect as Elijah Sewell. The probable cause statement says the first suspect was stabbed through the ribs and right lung.
A film crew was on 25th Street at the time of the incident and was able to record the second victim being attacked. The video footage shows the suspect moving toward the victim. The video also shows the suspect allegedly swinging a sharp weapon toward the second victim, according to the probable cause statement.
Pair of stabbings
The first victim told police Sewell allegedly attacked him after breaking up an unrelated fight. Additionally, the first victim also told police that Sewell allegedly made statements about his intention to kill him.
The second victim told authorities he grabbed his knife after seeing Sewell was allegedly in possession of one. The probable cause statement states the video did not show the second victim with a knife when he was stabbed.
On Wednesday, Sewell was taken into custody after being located at 210 27th Street. In a post-Miranda interview, and with an attorney present, Sewell told police his actions were in self-defense. The video footage of the incident was not consistent with his statements, according to the probable cause statement.
The probable cause statement also states that Sewell allegedly removed his weapon from the scene. And he refuses to tell police the location of it.
Sewell was booked into the Weber County Jail under investigation of two counts of first-degree aggravated attempted murder and obstruction of justice. The obstruction of justice charge is a second-degree felony.
Police have asked that Sewell be held without bail.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Suspect killed, Ogden police officer stable after officer-involved shooting
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths
- Multiple leads being followed up on after motorcyclist shot at passenger car, victim is stable