BUSINESS + ECONOMY
Extending the life of your car: are extended warranties worth the cost?
Sep 22, 2022, 9:15 AM
SALT LAKE CITY — Many Utahns are the victim of constant calls and emails about extended warranties. But are those calls onto something?
If you’re not in the market for a new car and want to keep your car running a little longer is an extended warranty worth the money?
General Manager of Jerry Seiner Buick GMC in South Jordan, Paul Lankford told KSL NewsRadio, it depends. He said if you plan on trading out your car every year, a warranty might not be your best bet. If you plan to hold on to your car, Lankford said warranties are generally worth it.
“I promise you that the manufacturers are stopping their warranties at a certain time for a reason,” said Lankford.
Lankford noted, you never know when car trouble will arise. However, he did have advice when it comes to the barrage of calls and emails.
“Buyer beware via email, via the phone, ” said Lankford. “I would personally go in… and talk with a reputable company that has a good, backed, reputable warranty.”
He also said to make sure the company is authorized to work on your make of vehicle.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- New Great Salt Lake commissioner says he hopes Utah avoids ‘Great Salt Lake fatigue’
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan sank a US warship in China
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- U.S. Department of Labor is suing the Chinatown Supermarket in Salt Lake
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Tackling the loneliness epidemic