Community theater cancels shows after concerns over casting
FIELDING, Utah — A community theater in Box Elder County has canceled its production of “The King and I” after complaints about the cast.
The Old Barn Community Theatre in Fielding posted on their Facebook page today that they canceled because they received concerns that no Asian-Americans were playing the Asian characters.
The director of the show posted that no Asian-Americans auditioned for the show. Still, the theatre moved forward, saying it hoped to portray Asian culture with “respect and consideration.”
The theater issued a statement today apologizing, saying that its choice in play was wrong. Moving forward, the theater says it will choose shows with casts that can better reflect the performers who audition.
“The King and I” was to run from Sept. 30 through mid-October.
- New site helps inform voters on Utah judges ahead of election season
- The first day of fall is here, what will the rest of the year look like in Utah?
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- US Embassy warns Americans to leave Russia