ARTS + ENTERTAINMENT
Community theater cancels shows after concerns over casting
Sep 22, 2022, 7:00 PM
(The Old Barn Community Theatre via Facebook)
FIELDING, Utah — A community theater in Box Elder County has canceled its production of “The King and I” after complaints about the cast.
The Old Barn Community Theatre in Fielding posted on their Facebook page today that they canceled because they received concerns that no Asian-Americans were playing the Asian characters.
The director of the show posted that no Asian-Americans auditioned for the show. Still, the theatre moved forward, saying it hoped to portray Asian culture with “respect and consideration.”
The theater issued a statement today apologizing, saying that its choice in play was wrong. Moving forward, the theater says it will choose shows with casts that can better reflect the performers who audition.
“The King and I” was to run from Sept. 30 through mid-October.
- New site helps inform voters on Utah judges ahead of election season
- The first day of fall is here, what will the rest of the year look like in Utah?
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Herriman couple ‘lucky to be alive’ after socket smashes windshield
- Citing rising rivers, Sandy Mayor issues emergency declaration
- Public comment period approved for quarry in Parley’s Canyon
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Source: Congressman Chris Stewart will resign, special election dates not known