Silicon Summit announces statewide expansion
SALT LAKE CITY — Silicon Slopes’s massive tech summit starts today at the Vivint Arena. The two-day business and technology-focused event is in its sixth year.
Silicon Slopes CEO Clint Betts said the summit is expanding and next year the event will boast a week’s worth of events spanning from Logan to St. George.
“We are taking this thing, starting next year, throughout the entire state of Utah,” said Betts. “It’s very important to me that Silicon Slopes means all of Utah, not just the Wasatch Front,” Betts tells KSL NewsRadio that he plans to make the announcement Thursday morning while speaking at the Summit.
One goal of the summit is networking.
“The amount of deals that get done here, the connections that get made, the amount of talent that gets absorbed into other companies or hired… there’s just nothing like it,” said Betts.
Gov. Spencer Cox is scheduled to speak on Saturday. Other keynote speakers include former NFL player Steve Young and former NBA turned Shanghai Shark basketball player, Jimmer Fredette. Both hail from BYU.
Silicon Summit serves SLC
The summit is also undertaking a service project to make a million meals over the two-day period.
“A million meals for Utah families in need. [We are] partnering with various organizations in order to make that happen,” said Betts who noted that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is a big partner in the project.
Betts said the organization has participated in this project for years and hope’s to continue it, “forever, because it’s important.”
Betts went on to say the need for meals is significant and the organization wants to shine a light on it. The project ends up being a highlight for many of the attendees.
“It always seems like the meals, the packaging of the meals and that service project, ends up being what a lot of us walk away from feeling like…we really did something.”
Related: Local program looks to help women break into tech industry
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Median price of a home declines for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah
- Should the Bible be banned from school libraries?
- Man arrested for suspicion of arson in Orem house fire
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- False threat near the TRAX Daybreak Parkway Station