CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man in custody after hours of negotiation in Orem home
Sep 29, 2022, 10:25 AM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:25 am
(Ben B. Braun/Deseret News)
OREM, Utah — The Orem Police Department had a heavy presence in an Orem neighborhood Thursday morning after a man reportedly shot a gun during a family fight. After hours of negotiation, police took the man into custody.
Orem Police said it received reports of a man shooting a gun during a family fight at a home near 400 S 700 E at 4:10 a.m. Thursday.
When officers arrived, the family was able to leave safely because the man was in a separate basement apartment at the time.
Police said the man then stepped outside with a gun and exchanged fire with officers.
He finally left the home after hours of negotiation with the police and went to the hospital for treatment for his injuries.
The Utah County Officer Involved Critical Incident Team is now investigating the incident.
Related: Federal, state authorities warn of return of missed jury duty, outstanding warrant scam
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia