Best Friends Animal Society building housing for employees in Kanab
KANAB, Utah — Kanab is getting housing units from an unlikely source — the Best Friends Animal Society. The nonprofit broke ground earlier this week on a new housing project meant for employees.
Best Friends is the largest no-kill shelter in the country. It has its largest location is here in Utah, in the city of Kanab.
Kanab is home to the Best Friends headquarters and sanctuary.
According to the organization, it is the biggest employer in Kane County and over half of its 850 employees work in Kanab.
A growing shelter means more employees, but employees have had trouble finding housing in the small town.
So, Best Friends began a $6 million housing project to provide places for their employees to rent. The housing project is also part of a push to fill the positions the nonprofit still has open.
The project will create 24 units — 12 duplexes — and the first two units are scheduled to be done in early 2023.
Related: Working from home associated with increase in housing prices, study finds
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski collision trial in Utah enters third day
- Another Utah snowstorm has us asking, what is a snow squall?
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Spring running late, another snowy morning commute is predicted