18-year-old arrested for alleged fight at Ben Lomond, involving a gun
OGDEN, Utah — An 18-year-old male has been arrested for his alleged involvement in a fight at Ben Lomond High School that involved a gun.
On Oct. 3, Ogden Police were informed by school officials of a fight at the school between two males, according to a probable cause statement.
Ben Lomond fight
Student witnesses to the fight claim that the 18-year-old, who has been identified as Dezmon Martinez, was above school age, and had a gun on him. Witnesses also claim the suspect was demanding that the two fight.
Based on video surveillance from the school, police were able to see what they say was a magazine sticking out of the suspect’s waistband.
Two days later, on Oct. 5, police spotted the same vehicle that was seen in the video traveling east on 2nd Street.
Police then conducted a traffic stop.
According to the probable cause statement, during the stop, authorities could smell marijuana coming from the vehicle. Also, during the stop, Martinez allegedly told police he had his firearm in the vehicle.
As Martinez was removed from the vehicle, he told police “The vehicle was not his, so he was not responsible for what was inside,” the probable cause statement read.
Inside the vehicle, police located the gun and next to it was a green-leafy substance, which they identified as marijuana.
In a post-Miranda conversation, Martinez told police he brought his cousin to Ben Lomond on Oct. 3 to fight. Additionally, he admitted to being in possession of a firearm on school grounds. He also admitted the magazine was hanging out of his pants.
According to the probable cause statement, he was booked into jail on Oct. 5 for investigation of possession of a weapon by a restricted person, which is a third-degree felony. He was also booked for investigation of a threat or use of a weapon in a fight, a class A misdemeanor.
Furthermore, Martinez was also booked for investigation of possession of a controlled substance, a class B misdemeanor.
- Ogden Police Department partners with pawnshop to sell seized guns
- Ogden police involved in a officer-involved shooting Monday
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success