11 Utahns to be chosen for special hunting permit
SALT LAKE CITY — Any Utahn over the age of 11 has a chance at the “hunt of a lifetime.” With the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources’ sportsman hunting permit, special species may be hunted.
The sportsman permit allows the elected Utahn to hunt a species they applied for, for a longer period of time on land unavailable to others.
Although there are 11 different species to choose from, only one permit per species will be distributed.
Choices of game include:
- Black bear
- Buck deer
- Buck pronghorn
- Bull elk
- Bull moose
- Desert bighorn sheep
- Mountain goat
- Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep
- Wild turkey
“If you draw a sportsman permit, you can hunt on almost every unit in Utah that’s open to hunting the species you drew a permit for,” DWR Wildlife Licensing Coordinator Lindy Varney said in a press release.
“Also, the season dates are much longer, so you’ll have more time to scout different places to harvest an animal. It’s the hunt of a lifetime.”
However, you can not apply for the permit without a Utah hunting or combination license.
Utahns have from Oct. 19 until Nov. 9 to submit their sportsman permit application.
There’s a non-refundable $10 application fee to apply for each species. If you are among the 11 who wins, you will be expected to pay the permit fees ranging from $35 to $513.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woods Cross man arrested for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- Median price of a home declined for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah?
- Utah Board of Education says full-day kindergarten benefits students’ futures
- Bus driver to be honored for saving woman from dog attack
- Utah man recovering from shark bite while swimming in Hawaii
- Here’s why separate trials for Chad and Lori Daybell is significant
- Fire breaks out at Orem home
- Murdered man’s family, friends worry suspected killer was let off too easy for other crimes