CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Former Utah County therapist facing additional child sex abuse charges
Oct 18, 2022, 7:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:24 am
MANTI, Utah — A former Utah County therapist is facing additional child sex abuse charges.
David Hamblin, 68, of Provo, was charged Tuesday in Sixth District Court with six counts of sexual abuse of a child. He was previously arrested late last month as part of an investigation into ritualistic child sex abuse.
According to the probable cause statement into the latest allegations, Hamblin was working out of his home as a therapist in Sanpete County. And was providing counseling to the victim. The probable cause statement says the victim was between 4 and 5 years old at the time. And the incidents occurred between 1990 and 1992.
The probable cause statement says the victim was sexually abused on six different occasions.
The investigation into the latest allegations against the former Utah therapist began in early October. In a news release from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were contacted by an individual. This person claimed to have been abused by Hamblin in the early 1990s.
“The victim also described that Hamblin administered religious blessings during some of the therapy sessions,” the Utah County Sheriff’s Office said in the news release. “The victim described disclosing the abuse, but that the concerns expressed were not taken seriously because of Hamblin’s standing both in the Spring City community and Hamblin’s standing because of his membership in and involvement with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
Authorities were told by the victim that Hamblin might cause harm if the abuse was disclosed outside of therapy. According to the news release, law enforcement personnel have been able to confirm the victim’s statements with other witnesses.
Currently, Hamblin is in the Utah County Jail without bail in connection to sexual abuse charges from a separate case.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia