OUTDOORS + RECREATION
Snow this weekend, is ski season in Utah almost here?
SALT LAKE CITY — Snow is in the forecast this weekend for our mountains, what does that mean for ski resorts in Utah?
Alison Palmintere with Ski Utah said it’s still a bit too early to tell what the snow season will look like. But that doesn’t mean Ski Utah isn’t excited.
“Early-season snowfall is definitely not an indicator of how the season will go, but it is always fun to speculate and hope that we’re going to have a really snowy season.”
Palmintere said many resorts are planning on opening dates beginning November 18th.
And as for what we can expect this weekend, meteorologists are predicting we’ll get rain in the valley this weekend, while it snows in the mountains.
KSL Meteorologist Matt Johnson said the mountain tops will get a nice blanket of snow.
While Ski Utah is optimistic this early-season storm is a good sign, we’ve had years in the past — like last year — where we get several early storms and then weeks without anything.
But it’s hard to predict what’s ahead.
“I know a lot of people talk about right before the 2002 Olympics, where we didn’t see a stitch of snow going up to the Olympics and everyone was really worried and then we got 100 inches in a matter of days. So you know it’s unpredictable, but that’s kind of the fun of it,” Palmintere said.
Related: Young Utah skier takes the big screen in new Warren Miller film
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Five-planet alignment may be visible in Tuesday night’s sky
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Body of snowmobiler found following avalanche in Pole Canyon
- Body found by passersby on southbound I-15 at 600 North
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Utah psychiatrist peers into dark mind of school shooter
- Search and rescue team recovers body of snowmobiler killed in avalanche
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial