3-year-old who died in Taylorsville believed to have shot himself accidentally
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — Police are investigating a shooting overnight that killed a 3-year-old child at a Taylorsville apartment. In an update Thursday morning, Taylorsville Police said the toddler shot himself.
“A tragic accident, it is believed at this time that the toddler accessed an unsecured firearm,” said the Taylorsville Police Department in a press release about the accident.
According to Sgt. Aaron Cheshire with the TPD, crews were dispatched on reports of a gunshot wound at a residence in the area of 1645 West Thornhill Dr. at around 12:15 a.m.
The call came in from a parent who reported the child had shot themselves. Taylorsville Police’s press release said the parents were in the home at the time of the shooting.
“Officers and medical arrived and medical worked on the child but pronounced the child deceased on the scene,” said Cheshire.
Cheshire stated that the shooting is currently under investigation. TPD also said the parents were cooperating with the investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- Frontier Airlines no longer has a customer service phone line
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Fugitive taken into custody following SWAT stand-off in Taylorsville
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide