3-year-old who died in Taylorsville believed to have shot himself accidentally
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — Police are investigating a shooting overnight that killed a 3-year-old child at a Taylorsville apartment. In an update Thursday morning, Taylorsville Police said the toddler shot himself.
“A tragic accident, it is believed at this time that the toddler accessed an unsecured firearm,” said the Taylorsville Police Department in a press release about the accident.
According to Sgt. Aaron Cheshire with the TPD, crews were dispatched on reports of a gunshot wound at a residence in the area of 1645 West Thornhill Dr. at around 12:15 a.m.
The call came in from a parent who reported the child had shot themselves. Taylorsville Police’s press release said the parents were in the home at the time of the shooting.
“Officers and medical arrived and medical worked on the child but pronounced the child deceased on the scene,” said Cheshire.
Cheshire stated that the shooting is currently under investigation. TPD also said the parents were cooperating with the investigation.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- As the snow melts, cases of canine giardia can increase
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- Jury finds Paltrow not liable in ski collision trial