Gas prices tumble in some US cities, not so much in others
SALT LAKE CITY — There’s not much consistency in Utah or across the nation when it comes to the price at the gas pump.
For example, Triple-A reports that people in Texas are currently paying $2.95 for a gallon of regular. But some in California are paying well over $5.
In an example from Utah, Triple-A said people are paying $3.70 a gallon in Sevier County, while those in neighboring Garfield County are paying at least $4.40 a gallon.
The universal good news is that, overall, prices are almost a dollar less than they were six months ago. It’s just that prices in some states like Texas, are dropping faster than others.
Currently, Triple-A reports the average price for a gallon of regular gas in Utah is $3.95 a gallon.
There are four reasons for the disparity:
- supply and demand,
- fuel blends, and
- profit margins.
All gas stations must charge $.18 in federal tax which is added to various state and local fees. Some states require unique fuel blends which are more expensive. Finally each store is trying to maximize their profit margins.
The National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) reports that California requires a “complex fuel blend” which adds to the gas costs in that state.
Even profits can vary widely according to the NACS, and takes into account store location, fuel type, and nearby competition.
In general, the average profit margin on a gallon of gas is about $.10 cents according to the NACS.
- Working from home could help bring down gas prices
- Why are Utah gas prices higher than Wyoming and Colorado?
- Will Biden’s plan to tap national reserve lower gas prices?
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woods Cross man arrested for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- Median price of a home declined for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah?
- Utah Board of Education says full-day kindergarten benefits students’ futures
- Bus driver to be honored for saving woman from dog attack
- Utah man recovering from shark bite while swimming in Hawaii
- Here’s why separate trials for Chad and Lori Daybell is significant
- Fire breaks out at Orem home
- Murdered man’s family, friends worry suspected killer was let off too easy for other crimes