Rocky Anderson announces bid to run for SLC mayor in 2023
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson wants his old job back.
Anderson made it official on Wednesday by announcing his candidacy for the 2023 mayoral race. He gave a speech at Cake Salon, located at 1010 S. State Street, declaring his interest in taking his old job.
Rocky Anderson wants his old job as mayor back
Anderson cites crime and homelessness as a reason for his interest in seeking reelection.
“Now Salt Lake City is listed among the most dangerous cities in the country,” Anderson said in his speech Wednesday. “Our city – my home for almost my entire adult life and a place I’ve always loved – is degraded, filthy in so many areas, unaffordable for most people, and experiencing the failures of homelessness policies that have wholly ignored best practices.”
The former mayor also cited the climate crisis as a threat to life on earth during his speech. He says it’s an issue that requires urgent measures from effective leadership.
“We must all provide effective leadership in whatever ways we can to achieve meaningful and urgent climate protection measures,” he said.
During his time as mayor, Salt Lake City won the World Leadership Award in for its environmental programs.
In his effort to reduce crime, Anderson says there will be a goal for police to respond to Priority 1 calls in 6 minutes or less. As of May 2022, response times to Priority 1 calls were more than 10 minutes.
Additionally, Anderson says he plans to restore the City Prosecutor’s Office.
- Salt Lake City Mayor provides update on tiny home community for city’s homeless
- Crime in Salt Lake City addressed by mayor and police chief
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- ChatGPT: Plagiarism super-tool for students or AI brainstorming generator?
- Spanish Fork teacher is year’s first Jazz “Most Valuable Educator”