U of U community reacts to discovery of hidden cameras in campus bathrooms
SALT LAKE CITY — As the University of Utah Police continue to search for evidence after two hidden cameras were found in campus bathrooms, U of U students and gym-goers are reeling from the news.
Authorities found the cameras on Wednesday in two bathrooms at the U of U Student Life Center, which provides recreational facilities to students on campus.
Katelyn Campbell said she works out at that gym every day and called the news unsettling.
“It’s such a bummer because that should be the one place…that you don’t have to worry.”
Another gymgoer, Brielle Hall also expressed shock at the news.
“Definitely makes me feel pretty uncomfortable knowing that there’s hidden cameras. And I just wonder how long that’s been there and like — I mean if someone put them in the bathrooms here — I wonder if they’ve checked everywhere else.”
In a press conference Thursday morning, U of U Police Department Capt. Brian Lohrke said there was a “concerted effort” to search the rest of the campus for other hidden cameras.
Victims are encouraged to call campus police and to reach out to advocates at the Center for Student Wellness.
Police made an arrest of 32-year-old Frederick William Weitz the same day they found the cameras.
Authorities suspect Weitz of placing the devices in the bathrooms. Police also suspect he impersonated another person in order to gain access to the Student Life Center.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen