Woman charged in February fatal car crash in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A 30-year-old woman is in custody for her involvement in a fatal car crash in February in West Valley City, according to police.
West Valley City Police said Cristal Erica Garcia is facing multiple felony charges, including obstruction of justice.
Authorities believe she was driving a Toyota Tundra that ran a red light and smashed into a pair of other vehicles 10 months ago.
The issue centers around another man who was pointed out by witnesses. According to police, the man smelled like alcohol and expressed a need to get away from the scene.
As a result, the man was taken into custody.
Nearly a year later, police used DNA evidence and a handprint from the driver’s side that they say match up with Garcia.
Police now say the man, who was previously charged, was just the passenger.
Additionally, police think Garcia left the scene right after the crash and left her passenger there to take the blame.
Mark Jones contributed to this report.
- Suspect in 2015 murder of West Valley City woman arrested
- Police investigating the shooting of a 15-year-old in West Valley City
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Winning over Americans? Poll says President Biden has work to do
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Salt Lake City police arrest man after road rage incident, involving a gun
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?