Shortage of baby formula continues to worry parents
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah families have been going to great lengths to get the formula they need for their infants, some of them even driving to neighboring states. And while the shortage that started last February has gotten better, officials say there is still far too little available.
“It’s been a long struggle,” said JoDell Geilman-Parke, vendor coordinator for Utah WIC. “Since the beginning of the shortage, last February WIC’s efforts have not stopped.”
Geilman-Parke told KSL NewsRadio that WIC has been distributing formula to different stores and counties. Getting the formula where it is needed for families.
Additionally, the Utah WIC website has a list of alternate formulas that can be used in place of the ones that are less available. Even though name-brand formulas are harder to find, most stores have other options available.
Scrambling to fix the formula shortage
When the Abbot formula plant shut down due to bacterial contamination, it put the nation in a downward spiral, frantically scrambling to find other options for formula production. It manufactures 90% of the nation’s formula. Without this facility’s production, the nation simply didn’t have enough formula. It has since reopened, but production has been slow as they are working to make up for lost time.
Enfamil, a popular name-brand formula, says that their supply won’t be back to normal until this coming spring. However, things are starting to look better and formula options have become more available.
Geilman-Parke said, “Unfortunately, families have been fighting this battle of not being able to find formula since February.”
She goes on to say, “Our hearts really go out to those that are struggling through this.”
- Utah Department of Health gives update on formula shortage
- New website helps parents track down in-stock baby formula near them
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon