Families suing Davis School District after students claimed to have been harassed
FARMINGTON, Utah — The families of three black students in the Davis School District are suing the district after the students claim to have been racially harassed at school.
The alleged claim comes at the same time as the district is supposed to be fixing racial issues. That was part of the requirement in a recent settlement with the Justice Department.
The breach-of-contract portion of the lawsuit was tossed out by a judge. The judge accepted the district’s report of all the steps it is taking to correct the problem. Additionally, the judge did not find the district to be in breach-of-contract.
The other claims in the lawsuit will still go forward.
“We don’t view the partial dismissal as being terribly deconstructive of the case itself,” said Aaron Bergman, attorney for the families.
Bergman says he hopes that litigation will help bring change to the district more quickly.
“You know the hope here is that the litigation will result in providing relief for these families, and more specifically for these kids,” Bergman said. “I’d hope to see a change in conduct come more swiftly as a result of it as well.”
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- New program aims to recruit more teachers to Davis School District
- Davis School District voters to decide on $475 million bond
- Davis School District projected to receive bonds, but votes are close
Today’s Top Stories
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Utah gas prices spike, Governor blames regional supply
- One dead after four-vehicles crash on U.S. Highway-40
- Lawyers say new Petito photos prove Moab Police ignored evidence of abuse
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high