EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Families suing Davis School District after students claimed to have been harassed
Dec 15, 2022, 9:30 PM | Updated: Dec 30, 2022, 11:17 am
FARMINGTON, Utah — The families of three black students in the Davis School District are suing the district after the students claim to have been racially harassed at school.
The alleged claim comes at the same time as the district is supposed to be fixing racial issues. That was part of the requirement in a recent settlement with the Justice Department.
The breach-of-contract portion of the lawsuit was tossed out by a judge. The judge accepted the district’s report of all the steps it is taking to correct the problem. Additionally, the judge did not find the district to be in breach-of-contract.
The other claims in the lawsuit will still go forward.
“We don’t view the partial dismissal as being terribly deconstructive of the case itself,” said Aaron Bergman, attorney for the families.
Bergman says he hopes that litigation will help bring change to the district more quickly.
“You know the hope here is that the litigation will result in providing relief for these families, and more specifically for these kids,” Bergman said. “I’d hope to see a change in conduct come more swiftly as a result of it as well.”
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- New program aims to recruit more teachers to Davis School District
- Davis School District voters to decide on $475 million bond
- Davis School District projected to receive bonds, but votes are close
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes