New program aims to recruit more teachers to Davis School District
DAVIS COUNTY, Utah — Davis County School District officials are working hard to find future educators to fill the gaps from a widespread teacher shortage. The Davis School District hopes to find new, homegrown teachers through a special mentoring program.
The program allows high school and college students to experience the teaching side of the classroom while gaining hands-on experience.
Davis School District Elementary Mentoring Coordinator Allison Riddle said the Teacher Academy Program helps those who are thinking about teaching see what it’s like early on. Riddle said the program also allows their current teachers to help inspire the next generation through example.
“We feel that the efforts we’re making are helping to bring in those who may not have thought that they could realize that dream of getting an elementary ed. degree.”
Riddle said she hopes the program will get people in or near Davis County to teach.
The district also has partnerships with a few local colleges that make the program a little more accessible. Students at Western Governors University that are studying elementary or special education, for example, can work as teaching assistants for 10 hours a week in the district. Not only to get not only real-world immersion but, a full scholarship as well.
“We’re honoring those teachers who are in a classroom and still leading others.”
- Canyons School District starting the year with a teacher and staff shortage
- Davis School District approves teacher compensation package
- Western Governors University, Canyons District join to combat teacher shortages
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips