Utah’s employment rate sees slight increase
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Workforce Services released the November jobs report on Friday morning.
In the past 12 months, employment increased an estimated 2.6%. Additionally, the state added a cumulative 43,100 jobs since last November making Utah’s current job count 1,688,600.
The seasonally-adjusted unemployment went up slightly from 2.1% to 2.2% with 38,200 Utahns reported as unemployed. The national unemployment rate is unchanged at 3.7%.
The Department of Workforce Services Deputy Director, Nate McDonald joined KSL’S Utah Morning News to discuss the report.
McDonald talked about the strength of Utah’s economy.
“Our job growth has been — we’ve been above 3% job growth for over a year now. Being above 3% job growth and having such a low unemployment, being in the low twos, is, it really has been just unheard of.”
McDonald said that shows how strong the state’s economy has been. Then added, “But you can’t sustain that.”
Noting our economy is overheating a little bit he continued, “And so even though our job growth came in at 2.6%, we’re still seeing job growth is slowing down. So we’re starting to see some of what’s happening at the national level some these impacts and decisions that are being made at that national level, starting to just slow things down here in Utah a little.”
Listen to the full segment on the jobs report:
Related: Utah’s October job reports
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Speeches, silence, during Pro-Life Utah memorial at the Capitol
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Three teens in custody after fight, shooting at Taylorsville High