UPDATE: 14-year-old arrested in connection to Entheos Academy shooting threat
KEARNS, Utah — A 14-year-old male is being charged with making a shooting threat to Entheos Academy.
The academy called off Monday classes at both its campuses after school officials learned of a threat made on social media.
In a Facebook post made Monday morning, administrators said a parent reported a shooting threat on Snapchat. The threat was towards the school’s Kearns campus.
The school also said authorities were investigating a possible second threat on Instagram. This possible threat singled out one student at the school’s Magna campus.
According to Lt. Shane Manwaring with the Unified Police Department, police tracked down the 14-year-old suspect through his “digital footprint.”
“We actually located him pretty fast,” he says. “You just can’t really make threats … you leave a digital footprint.”
Along with this, Manwaring says the teen never went to the school and had no means to carry out the threat, meaning he had no access weapons.
The suspect has been interviewed by police and he is now with his parents, Manwaring says.
The school has not yet announced what classes will look like on Tuesday.
Entheos Academy advised that anyone wanting to make a report can do so via the SafeUT app, contacting the police or contacting school administrators.
The school also provided resources for families talking to their children about school threats.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Speeches, silence, during Pro-Life Utah memorial at the Capitol
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Three teens in custody after fight, shooting at Taylorsville High