Rose Park aggravated assault suspect safely taken into custody, police say
SALT LAKE CITY — Officers were searching for an alleged aggravated assault suspect with a gun in Rose Park Sunday.
SLCPD said in a press release the incident began at around 11:17 a.m. after they received info about a shooting in the area. No injuries have been reported.
Following this, officers immediately secured the area and began looking for the suspect.
Several roads were closed as a result of the search from Sterling Dr. to 800 N., 1200 W. and American Beauty. Police asked the public to avoid the area.
— Shelby Lofton (@newswithShelby) December 18, 2022
According to the press release, a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter, SLCPD drones and the SLCPD K9 Squad were all assisting in the investigation.
Police located the suspect at approximately 2 p.m. in the area of 1100 West Talisman Dr. The suspect has since been identified as 22-year-old Angel Tinajero.
After an extensive search of the neighborhood, our officers found and safely took the suspect into custody.
All road closures will be lifted soon.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) December 18, 2022
Tinajero was booked into Salt Lake County Metro Jail on two counts of Aggravated Assault, one count of Burglary of a Dwelling, one count of Kidnapping, one count of Purchasing/Transferring/Possession/Use of a Firearm by a Restricted Person, and four counts of Felony Discharge of a Firearm.
Tinajero allegedly attempted to break into the victims car and fired a shot at the victim when they confronted him. When Tinajero ran and the victim followed, he shot three more times. No injuries were reported.
Tinajero then entered an elderly woman’s home without permission near 1100 West Sterling Drive. The homeowner described Tinajero as nervous and acting strange. She said that Tinajero told her to not call police and admitted to feeling trapped.
He remained in the house for two hours and changed his clothes before eventually being found by police in a yard.
After the arrest, a SLCPD K9 Unit conducted an article search looking for any evidence Tinajero ditched while running away. Officers found several pieces of evidence, including a firearm.
- Man arrested after alleged assault at Warm Springs Park
- Utah man arrested, charged with assault on flight from New York to Salt Lake
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- UTA board looks at FrontRunner expansion in Utah County