SCIENCE + TECHNOLOGY
Future of Lake Powell is not looking so bright
Dec 22, 2022, 9:30 PM
(Kirstin Murphy/Deseret News)
PAGE, Ariz. — The future of Lake Powell is getting bleak. So much so that experts say the lake is approaching a dead pool.
A dead pool is when the water level in a reservoir drops so low, it can’t flow downstream.
Jack Stauss, of the Glen Canyon Institute, told KSL NewsRadio that his institute has been calling for the draining of the lake for years.
“Nature is kind of showing us that it’s not only possible, but it’s already kind of happening with or without our intervention,” he said.
The future of Lake Powell
If nothing improves by 2025, Stauss says only Lake Mead would be filled. But that would require good conservation measures and cutbacks at the various states. Stauss points out the cutbacks are already starting to take place.
“Those things coupled with the reality of climate change has showed us that we don’t necessarily need two giant reservoirs to meet the obligation of the compact,” he said.
Stauss says his organization has performed a legal analysis of the law of the river. He says it would be legal for the Upper Basin to maintain its water downstream in Lake Mead. Essentially, he says the Upper Basin could hold on to water rights of the Lower Basin. And still be able to provide the assurances of the Upper Basin, while still allowing the Lower Basin to use what it needs.
Stauss says all seven states in the basin water area need to work together to find a solution.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes