High winds, rain and snow on the way for Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Some changes in the weather are brewing for Utah this week. The Beehive State is expected to see high winds, rain and snow during the next few days.
Windy weather for Utah
High winds already caused three ski resorts to close lifts Tuesday morning.
National Weather Service Meteorologist Nicole DeSmet said the wind already clocked at 103 mph at Hidden Peak.
Winds reached 80 mph in Snowbasin and 45 mph to 60 mph in Park City.
“We’re expecting winds around 50 miles an hour on exposed ridges and the higher elevations later for the rest of today,” DeSmet said.
Incoming rain and snow
Along with the winds, DeSmet said the state was looking at a lot of moisture on Tuesday.
“You’re seeing a lot of rain on the radar today,” she said. “And we’re expecting that to continue in the valleys today. And even on the higher elevations.”
Wednesday will see a transition period. DeSmet said a rain-and-snow mix will fall in some valleys. The mountains, however, will see a lot of snow.
“We are seeing forecast snow amounts in our northern mountains and even our central and southern mountains will pick up some snow as well in the range of one to two feet through tomorrow night,” she said.
The southern and central mountains are forecasted to have about 12 to 18 inches of snow while the northern mountains will see more accumulation. DeSmet said the Cottonwood canyons in particular will get more snow.
Becky Bruce contributed to this report.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…