High winds, rain and snow on the way for Utah
Dec 27, 2022, 1:35 PM | Updated: 1:38 pm
(Scott G Winterton/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — Some changes in the weather are brewing for Utah this week. The Beehive State is expected to see high winds, rain and snow during the next few days.
Windy weather for Utah
High winds already caused three ski resorts to close lifts Tuesday morning.
National Weather Service Meteorologist Nicole DeSmet said the wind already clocked at 103 mph at Hidden Peak.
Winds reached 80 mph in Snowbasin and 45 mph to 60 mph in Park City.
“We’re expecting winds around 50 miles an hour on exposed ridges and the higher elevations later for the rest of today,” DeSmet said.
Incoming rain and snow
Along with the winds, DeSmet said the state was looking at a lot of moisture on Tuesday.
“You’re seeing a lot of rain on the radar today,” she said. “And we’re expecting that to continue in the valleys today. And even on the higher elevations.”
Wednesday will see a transition period. DeSmet said a rain-and-snow mix will fall in some valleys. The mountains, however, will see a lot of snow.
“We are seeing forecast snow amounts in our northern mountains and even our central and southern mountains will pick up some snow as well in the range of one to two feet through tomorrow night,” she said.
The southern and central mountains are forecasted to have about 12 to 18 inches of snow while the northern mountains will see more accumulation. DeSmet said the Cottonwood canyons in particular will get more snow.
Becky Bruce contributed to this report.
Ski Utah announces this season’s best powder day yet
What to pack in your car to stay safe during severe winter weather
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- New Great Salt Lake commissioner says he hopes Utah avoids ‘Great Salt Lake fatigue’
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Hydrologist optimistic about Salt Lake County runoff picture as thunderstorm threat looms
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Utah historian uncovers artifacts from 1983 floods
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- U.S. Department of Labor is suing the Chinatown Supermarket in Salt Lake
- Years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan sank a US warship in China