EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
USU program helped Nebo Utah School District students in need before the holidays
Dec 30, 2022, 1:00 PM | Updated: 1:09 pm
(Photo credit: USU)
SALT LAKE CITY — Back in November of 2022, the Utah County 4-H Livestock Ambassadors launched its Meal Kits for Kids project to ensure students in the Nebo Utah School District had food outside of school and through the holidays.
Approximately 1,200 students in the Nebo Utah School District are at risk of experiencing food insecurity, therefore there was an immediate need for this project. Monica Hullinger, a social worker for the district, said many students go without food over Christmas break.
Utah State University Extension 4-H members and their families helped ambassadors assemble and deliver over 200 meal kits to the school district for students in need. A press release from USU said each meal kit contained ingredients and the recipe for a healthy meal.
The release said ambassadors received more than $2,000 in donations to buy food for the kits.
In early December, the food kits were assembled in Spanish Fork and delivered to Nebo’s Cupboard and Dragon Pantry at Landmark High School.
“It was a great reminder to be grateful for what you have,” said Sydney Jensen, a livestock ambassador. “I find myself wanting new things when other people just want food or clothes.”
Related reading: School choice bill coming back in Utah’s 2023 legislative session
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Multiple leads being followed up on after motorcyclist shot at passenger car, victim is stable