EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Salt Lake City School District looking at possible school closures
Jan 12, 2023, 11:00 AM
(Jeffrey D. Allred/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City School District is beginning a process of seriously looking at closing elementary schools. This comes after a state audit found that enrollment was way down in the district.
The state audit found that the district could better use taxpayer money by closing several schools. Several elementary schools in the district are at less than 50% capacity.
But SLCSD Superintendent Dr. Martin Bates told the school district board that he doesn’t just want them to close the smallest schools.
“It’s more than just simply looking at numbers and saying ‘ha, we’ve got it.'”
As for when we could see shuttered schools, it won’t be anytime in the next year. The district is in the early stages of making any closure decision.
Right now, the Salt Lake City Board of Education is looking at the best way to even consider all the options.
They’ll have to consider classroom size, population changes, programs like special education and how best to move teachers.
This year will be filled with lots of meetings to discuss options. Then, we’ll see several months of public input, so any closures will be at least a year away.
Related: Salt Lake City School District names interim superintendent
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- The streaming shift from BYUtv to ESPN
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows